Friday, April 20, 2012

Coconut Curry Stir Fry - yum

This recipe is from an Americas Test Kitchen Light Cookbook. I was very nervous as I am not a huge curry fan and the thought of making a stir fry terrified me. I told my husband he could choose a couple recipes and if I liked them I might make them even if they scare me "a little".

I prepared in the afternoon for this and had all my cutting, chopping, slicing, mixing and other prep ready to go. I had also read through the recipe multiple times so I knew which order to cook things. I was ready for this super fast meal. I later learned that there is a special name for that preparation, some french term, that I have since forgotten...sorry hunny!

We ended up serving it over basmati rice and it was just d
elicious. Even the kids and our picky eater friend loved it (Okay so our picky eater friend [lets call her PEF] maybe didn't love it but didn't hate it despite her hatred for coconut, I know right, COCONUT). I am about to enjoy my small plate of leftovers and plan to make this recipe along with other stir frys in the future.

Basic Stir Fry
3/4 pound protein
2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons dry sherry
3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
3 scallions, white parts only
5 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs prepared vegetables

1. Toss the protein with soy sauce and sherry in a medium bowl. In small bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, scallion whites and 2 teaspoons of the oil.



2. Heat 1 more teaspoon oil in a 12 inch non stick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add the protein and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up clumps., until lightly browned, 1-4 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl.

3. Add 1 more teaspoon oil to pan and return to high heat until shimmering. Add longer cooking vegetables to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender, 1-5 minutes.

4. Add the remaining teaspoon oil and faster cooking vegetables and cook until vegetables are crisp tender, 30 sec-1 minute.

5. Clear the center of the pan and add the garlic mixture. Cook, mashing the garlic mixture into the pan with the back of a spatula, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Stir the garlic mixture into the vegetables. Add the protein and toss to combine. Whisk the sauce (made below) to recombine, then add it to the pan and bring to a simmer. Off the heat, toss until the protein and vegetables are well coated with the sauce and sizzling hot. Serve immediately.



Cocunut Curry Stir Fry Sauce
2/3 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
6 tbsp. low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1. Combine all ingredients except the curry powder and pepper flakes in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Add the curry powder and pepper flakes to the garlic mixture in step 1 of the stir

No comments:

Post a Comment